Thursday, June 7, 2012

Journey Through The Deep


Journey Through The Deep by Magnofon on Mixcloud

I work in the upholstery trade and this afternoon I came across a close-up photograph of a fabric swatch and decided to earmark it for a music project. I was particularly keen on the tone of it, as it had an almost African feel to it. Then this evening, I was washing the dishes and listening to music as usual when I came across an old mix of mine from back in 2006.
And here we are...another blog post!

2006 was a year where in terms of DJing, I was pretty much in my prime as I was starting to get quite a few gigs. This was my first and possibly only recorded mix as I had some terrible problems with my laptop at the time and even to this day, I'm pretty proud of it.
I intended to make a set that was so deep that it would tread a strange, almost dark territory and scoured some of my weirder, more underground records.
The result is something that's consistently dubby, hypnotic, deep and beautiful at times. Occasionally, my developing interest in ambient music can be detected and the mix has the odd flicker of African influences too. It's the latter which ties in nicely with the cover image I have selected.

As for the mixing, it's pretty decent on the most part. The only real blemish is the recording quality, due to that ancient heap of junk laptop I used to capture it. There is a consistent hiss which is present throughout but hopefully the quirky and hypnotic deepness will prevent your ears from focussing on it too much...

No comments:

Post a Comment