Friday, May 25, 2012

Warehouse Decay Sessions #3


01  Dan Curtin - My Deep Love
02  Demarkus Lewis - Do You Really Know?
03  Casey Hogan - Update The System
04  Giles Smith Presents Two Armadillos - Butterfly Bee
05  Sakro - Hold Me Tight
06  Detroit Swindle - The Wrap Around
07  Tomska - Deep Inside
08  Jimpster - Get A Hold On Your Soul
09  Dan Berkson and James What - Onika
10  Patrick Turner - Skywalking
11  Chris Carrier - Junction
12  Brawther - Do It Yourself
13  Atjazz - Looking Glass

Warehouse Decay Session number 3 continues the vinyl-only airing via my Mixcloud account. After the last session's occasional trainwreck, I was keen to concentrate nailing the beatmatching this time round. I kicked things off with possibly my favourite House track of all time - an old Dan Curtin record I bought off a mate when he was skint. I think it cost me the price of a pint at the time, which was about £2.50 in those days! 'My Deep Love' is a fine deep cut with skipping beats, surely Curtin's best piece as far as I'm aware.
On from this, despite a slight mismatch of keys, I went for Demarkus Lewis's 'Do You Really Know?', another all time favourite of mine. I've a lot of Demarkus's records so they'll crop up regularly in the Warehouse Decay Sessions. Further into the mix, I opted to juxtapose deep vibes with a techy edge before airing a trio of recent purchases. First up is the bass heavy 'Hold Me Tight' by Sakro which moves into a superb dancefloor friendly moment by Detroit Swindlers - this is the piece I often skip straight to if listening when I'm pressed for time. Next up is a piece from Tomska's record on Vibes and Pepper Recordings, all of which are excellent.
I then drop in a big deep House tune from Jimpster, which I remember playing heavily at gigs just before I put DJing on the backburner. This record got a lot of support at the time and it's easy to hear why. I follow it with a hypnotic techno groove by Dan Berkson and James What - this is the flipside to their massive collaboration with Robert Owens - I'm sure I'll give that an airing some time in the future. I drop another personal classic after this, Patrick Turner's 'Skywalking' brings in a fine slab of electronic funk. I was considering packing the mix in at this point but I saw that I hadn't been mixing for that long and fancied carrying on for a few more records. I left it very late and just about brought in the minimal beats of Chris Carrier's 'Junction'. Since this noticeably depleted all of the energy that 'Skywalking' had built up, I decided to prat around with some strange scratching effects, that I still can't decide if it works or not. In hindsight, it really wasn't necessary but what the heck. The deep keys return with Brawther's excellent 'Do It Yourself', a piece with a strong old skool feel and hints of garage. I close it all off with Atjazz's 'Looking Glass'; another classic in my books. The needle started to gather dust from too much weight being applied on the tone arm...so the sound started to distort. A perfect reason for me to call it a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment