Thursday, May 24, 2012

Warehouse Decay Sessions #2


01  Rick Wade - Moving On
02  Dubbyman - Kirigi Is Coming
03  Four Walls - Untitled
04  Ray Valioso - Groove Memories
05  Alex Flitsch meets Audiofly - Conversations
06  Santorini - Out Of Bounds
07  Brawther - Spaceman Funk (Deep Club Mix)
08  Demarkus Lewis - Rise Above
09  Ray Okpara - The You Of Cool
10  Modi - Aputicat
11  Frank Leicher - Other Peace
12  MAW ft. Roy Ayers - Our Time Is Coming (Jazzanova The Guestlist Remix)
13  Hidenobu Ito - Beauty
14  My My - Going Going Gone
15  Bebel Gilberto - Aganju (Spiritual South Sub Rub Instrumental)

After a successful short mix a few days prior (WDS#1), I was keen to press on with a follow up and I decided to ring a few changes. This woud naturally throw down the gauntlet and see whether the first session was just a flash in the pan or whether I really should be on the front cover of Mixmag.
So, firstly I wanted to extend the airplay to around the hour mark to include more tracks. I wanted to go deeper, include a few harmonic transitions and throw in a good range of House sounds.
I decided this time not to mix on the fly and spent about two hours testing the transitions and building the tracklist. Well...I wish I'd never bothered, as I messed up a couple of mixes when I eventually hit record. The transition between tracks three and four is particularly unbearable but please don't let this put you off! The bulk of it works and there are some very nice moments to make up for it. One such is the harmonic mixing used between tracks seven and eight; just click and hear it for yourself! Oh, then there's Roy Ayers...we'll come back to him in a moment.
Musically, the tempo is set slower than the first mix and starts of deep with the dubbed out detroit-style sounds of Rick Wade, Dubbyman and Four Walls. Whilst these records aren't all recent, they are new purchases I have made. The mix eventually gets to techy and edgier territory which reaches a bit of an early crescendo in Santorini's Out Of Bounds, before heading deeper again with Brawther's Spaceman Funk. When this hits a breakdown, some percussion comes in and I fade in a real classic from Demarkus Lewis. There is a tribal element to this warm track which I built upon with Ray Okpala's The You Of Cool. The tribal element heightens here before it gets weirder on Modi's Aputicat. Things are broken back down with a Frank Leicher track before one of my favourite records comes in - the Jazzanova remix of a Master's At Work and Roy Ayers classic. 'Our Time Is Coming was given to me about 8 years ago when I got my first set of Technics and although I would regularly listen to it over the years, I would rarely ever mix it live. This was because I found the broken beats ridiculously difficult to mix - so I avoided it. I can't tell you how delighted I am to have included it here! Such a wonderful track. There's not much that can really follow this and I did intend on finishing the mix here originally. I decided to mix on the fly from here on and included three very different records. The straight up funky deepness of Hidenobu Ito, the electronic quirk of My My and then broken bass heavy beats that make for a Spiritual South remix of an old Bebel Gilberto record.

No comments:

Post a Comment